"Oh my wheels and wipers!"
His catchphrase from seasons 1-2.
Brum is a sweet and happy little car who loves making friends and hates to see anyone unhappy. He is outgoing and personable. He feels things deeply, and has a strong sense of empathy! He doesn't always pick up on complex ideas and gets confused and frightened easily. He rarely gets angry and is far more likely to flee than fight. The exception to this is if he feels that someone else is in danger. Brum always stands up for his friends, even when he's scared. He shows his true bravery when someone else is in need.
He helps to save the day by identifying criminals stealing stuff or just stops things like a dog from getting away or runaway objects and he even dances with people in the ending. Then its time for Brum to return and sneak back into the garage, past his owner, before anyone notices that he's missing. Then he goes fast asleep.
He drives by himself and can express himself in a number of ways including opening and closing his doors and bonnet, "bobbing" his suspension, flashing and swiveling his headlamps, rotating his starting crank, extending his turn signals, and using his horn. He opens his doors to make him happy and flaps his bonnet up to make him angry, but in the first two series, he does not. Sometimes you can tell from his eyes.
Typically, he stops thieves from escaping or just stops things like a dog from getting away and so far, has never failed to save the day.
Each episode of Brum begins with the car starting its day in a museum, then sneaking out to visit the "Big Town", where it finds adventures. The opening sequence and closing sequence was filmed at the Cotswold Motoring Museum in Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire, England. The model car used in filming is kept on display there when not in use.
Quotes (series 1-2) Edit
- "Oh my wheels and wipers!" (His catchphrase.)
- "Leave her alone! What do you think you're doing?! Let go of her doll! (Brum to The Big Town Bullies in Rescue.)
- "Serves them right!" (Brum commenting on The Big Town Bullies getting splashed with soapy water in Rescue.)
- "Oh my wheels and wipers! What's that? A face, flying... in the sky? How did that get there? That looks like fun, can I have a go?" (Kite.)
- "Thank you, that's enough excitement for one day. Time for me to go." (Kite)
- "Oh my bonnet and bumper! Where am I? I don't like this place! I... I want to go home! (Scrapyard)
- There are two "Brum" cars. The original scale model for series 1-2 is housed at the Cotswold Motoring museum which was still used for the opening and ending of every episode beyond series 2. The second model for series 3-5 has toured with The Herbert's Story of Children's Television Exhibition and has appeared at the Beaulieu Motor Museum. Along with other differences between the two cars, the most noticeable is the design of turning crank start on the front of Brum's grill.
- In the first two series, his headlights are small, But in the later series, his headlights are slightly bigger, also his registration plate was bigger in the first two series. In the later series, his registration plate is smaller.
- Brum's bonnet color was bronze in the first 2 series, but in the later series, his bonnet is golden.
- He returned in four events - On 10th December 2001. He made a special guest appearance in the CBBC On Choice studio, and he also appeared in Brum and the Big Blue Diamond Mystery Pantomime, and in the music video "Fireflies" by Owl city. And in 2006, Brum was part of the St. Matthew's Primary School road safety campaign in Westminster, London.